The Mount Pleasant Public Library was established in 1949 by the Junior Delphian Club with 350 donated books. The first home of the library was an upstairs room at City Hall.
In 1964, the library moved to 106 South Jefferson, in the Latimer Building, and became a department of the City of Mount Pleasant.
Remodeling began on the historic Post Office building in 1967, and in 1969, the library moved its location to 213 North Madison. The building was renovated in the spring of 2000 to meet ADA guidelines. An elevator and new ramps were added at that time.
In 2009 plans began to form for building a new, larger library. The new library opened in March 2012, and is located at 601 North Madison.